As a growers association we constantly advocate the following to be addressed amongst all involved in the tobacco industry:
- GAP – Good Agricultural Practice - Ensure adherence to the Tobacco handbook in all aspects of tobacco growing and management.
- Seed and Variety integrity – It is imperative that our seedhouses continue to operate and necessary funding sourced where required. Variety research continues to be encouraged.
- IPM – Integrated Pest Management. Reduce the use of manufactured pesticides through alternate methods of pest control. Employing biological control.
- Reduction in NTRM – Non-tobacco related material. This destroys the integrity of the crop.
Managing the environment:
- Appropriate use of CPA's – Crop Protection Agents
- Monitor impact of agricultural practices on flora and fauna affected by operations.
- Ensure safe management and use of pesticides.
- Crop rotations, green manure crops and land contouring. Soil fertility basically maintained or enhanced.
- Water pollution prevented – minimize stream bank cultivation, run off of excess chemicals and fertilizers.
- Reduce carbon and climate change measures on farm.
- Afforestation programmes encouraged and preserve native forests
- Encourage Biodiversity
- Development of sustainable sources of leaf curing
- Development of efficient curing systems
- Training programmes for employees and farmers alike.
- Empowerment of farmers and rural communities
- Reduction of child labour.
- Employee health and safety
- Fair remuneration for workers
- Support Agricultural Labour Practises (ALP)